Brainwashing, episode 32

When I was young, my parents very skillfully wove into their daily activities and outings a plethora of the music and movies that they had grown up with. I remember listening to Beatles records with my brother almost all day long on a cold winter Saturday. I remember reading Agatha Christie novels because my mom was. Trying to figure out how tennis was scored because my dad loved watching Pete Sampras play. Not all of it stuck, and I confess, I like Bad Religion more than CCR and Chuck Pahlaniuk more than Dick Francis, but I'll be damned if I won't pick soccer over football every time, and I can guarantee you that when the Tour de France is on, I know who the leader of each stage is.
Now that it is my turn, I'm working hard at bringing the finer things in life to my girls. Ava and Sierra both have done a little headbanging to the dulcet tones of Metallica, listened to Henry Rollins rant, and had me read a little bit of the masterful Tolkien to them. Along with those crowning achievements, I'm pretty proud that they both know of, and love, Ducktales. Uncle Scrooge, Huey, Dewey, and Louie have a fond place in my heart, and hopefully theirs too.
I figure I'm just doing my part to make sure that they have the finer things in life.

Comments